Tuesday 24 May 2016

Hiking Bon Echo - Shield Trail

Oh. My. Goodness.

The mosquitoes on this trail were by far the worst I have ever seen, this was most likely due to the fact that this trail runs along a marsh and that it is I guess breeding season for mosquitoes, but holy crap. We had doused ourselves in bug spray but we could still feel them everywhere, I'm covered in bites!

The beginning of the trail

Okay, enough complaining, the trail was gorgeous and I wish we had gone at a slower pace to enjoy it but we simply couldn't slow down without being swarmed by a mob of mosquitoes. We ended up running and walking the trail to get out faster, it was almost 30 degrees Celsius here today and we got to Bon Echo around 2:30 pm so it was quite hot.


This trail is 4.8 km and is listed as moderate, taking about 2 hours on rolling hills. We made it through in just over an hour, mainly because we were walking as fast as we could on the rocks without injuring ourselves.

About halfway we found this gorgeousness and stopped for a snack

We had to pay for a day permit to leave our car in order to hike, which I found a little ridiculous (it was $15!) but I understand why they have daily fees, however I feel like there should be an option for per hour payment as we essentially paid $15 to be there for 1.5 hours.

First attempt with the selfie stick

A large part of the trail was along the Canadian Shield which was pretty cool. This is definitely a trail I'd love to check out again with better weather! 




Have you ever done any of the Bon Echo trails? Also, check me out on instagram @hippyhiker I'll be posting photos daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment